Job Title: Sr. Packaging Engineer
LOCATION: Dinuba, Calif.
We are a fast-growing, mid-sized CPG food manufacturing company (Top 125 in North America) that was founded by a father-son team (Louis and Fred Ruiz) 50 years ago with the idea of sharing their authentic Mexican family recipes with the world.
Today, Ruiz Foods is a recognized and reputable leader in the industry with the #1 brand in retail frozen Mexican Food (El Monterey) and the #1 roller grill snack brand in C-Stores (Tornados). We bring on-trend, delicious foods to consumers in US Retail, Warehouse Clubs and Foodservice including K-12 Schools, Colleges and Universities, Business and Industry, Convenience Stores, Vending and Restaurants.
This position will be based in Central California, with a low cost of living, family-friendly communities, and ready access to three national parks and countless other recreational activities.
This position will function as the packaging innovation and packaging cost optimization lead on the R&D team. The role encompasses leading the technical development of new product packaging platforms and packaging processes, as well as supporting packaging technology transfer to manufacturing with specific focus on packaging performance enhancements to support innovation platforms, improve quality and reduce cost. Within the scope of this position is both application of existing packaging technologies to new product initiatives as well as identification and implementation of packaging cost savings initiatives. In addition, the role encompasses identification, investigation, and proof of principal on packaging technologies that are new to Ruiz Foods, as well as technical assessment and selective development of emerging technologies. The incumbent will partner closely with the Product Development team, Marketing, Procurement, Engineering and Operations to ensure seamless development, commercialization and launch of new packaging innovation and packaging cost optimization projects. Incorporation of Design to Value principles, including both consumer as well as customer needs, is required. Also, integral to the role will be keeping at the cutting edge of relevant new packaging technologies and establishing strong external partnerships for the development and commercialization of innovation.
- Technical leadership of new package development and commercialization, inclusive of primary and secondary packaging which impacts product performance.
- Identification and leadership of packaging cost savings projects incorporating Design to Value principles.
- Package testing to ensure robust performance in manufacturing, distribution, and consumer use.
- Establish packaging specifications and execute documentation of packaging specifications within the Ruiz ERP system
- Coordinate packaging technology transfer to manufacturing and support execution of production troubleshooting as it relates to new product commercialization.
- Prepare QA validation protocols for new packaging materials and collaborate with Procurement, Engineering and Quality Assurance to validate that packaging materials comply with design specifications and food safety requirements
- Validate product/package compatibility.
- Lead resolution of quality issues due to packaging not meeting performance requirements.
- Work as a member of the innovation teams from ideation through concept development and execution and lead the identification of packaging enhancements that meet consumer needs.
- Optimize New Packaging Platform Development Processes including key milestones and success criteria to ensure flawless execution and marketplace success.
- Work as an integral member of the cost optimization team from ideation through commercialization to drive unnecessary cost out of existing package designs, collaborating closely with engineering to implement packaging optimization in the manufacturing plants.
- Collaborate with and lead external partners to drive relevant package technology development, including management of external development programs.
- Establish a long-term pipeline of emerging packaging technologies and criteria to evaluate and prioritize technology focus areas.
- May require up to 30% travel.
- Regular and dependable attendance and punctuality is an essential function of this position
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum BS in Package Engineering or a related field, preferably with a concentration in Food Packaging. Advanced degree a plus.
- Experience with packaging substrates including flexible packaging and folding carton/corrugate.
- Working knowledge of packaging response to cook methods including microwave, conventional and convection oven.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to perform with minimal supervision
- Strong project management skills with the ability to lead and manage multiple projects concurrently as well as lead and motivate teams.
- An adept critical thinker with excellent problem-solving skills.
- Ability to holistically analyze opportunities/risks and formulate well-reasoned recommendations for the business.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to communicate clearly with all levels of personnel through verbal, written and electronic modes
- Outstanding drive for results, with the ability to communicate clear goals and progress against those goals.
- A strong team player with the ability to collaborate cross functionally, generate options and negotiate win-win outcomes.
- Strong business acumen with the ability to understand cost analysis and ROI.
SALARY: DEPENDING ON EXPERIENCE (EXEMPT)
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested applicants should submit resume to:
- Mail: Human Resources, P.O. Box 37, Dinuba, CA 93618
- Fax: (559) 591-1593
- E-mail: email@example.com
Ruiz Foods is an equal opportunity employer.
EOE: Male, Female, Vets, Disabled (M/F/V/D).
Ruiz Foods enforces a policy of maintaining a drug-free workforce, including pre-employment substance abuse testing.